Digest this: Insect in cereal pack
Piyush Navdhare, a sales executive in a reputed real estate firm, has vowed never to trust big brands again. Navdhare found a dead grasshopper in a packet of Nestle’s Nestum baby cereal he had bought for his 11-month-old baby.
Navdhare bought the product on September 24. After feeding four spoons of the cereal to his baby, he and his wife found a dead grasshopper inside the packet. “I was shocked. We had bought the product once before and liked it. Hence, we decided to continue it,” he said.
He called Nestle’s Powai office in the first week of October. A nutrition officer visited him and took samples of the product — manufactured at Nestle’s factory in Haryana in July 2012 — for laboratory tests.
“The officer asked me st
Read full story
Although he was told that he will receive an acknowledgment letter and test reports in a week’s time, he did not get any response from them, even after a month.
The packet with the grasshopper is still with Navdhare. “I allowed them to take only samples of the powder, because if they had taken the whole packet, they would have tried to brush the issue under the carpet.”
The nutrition officer at Nestle, when contacted, confirmed that she visited the consumer and took samples of the cereal for testing.
She said, “The sample is undergoing analysis at the quality control lab in Haryana. We will get back to the consumer soon with the reports.”
Himanshu Manglik, the communications manager at Nestle India, wrote to DNA: “The complaint is for an open pack and is being investigated. The sample provided to us did not contain any foreign body. A comprehensive investigation is possible only after the consumer provides us the pack... The technology and stringent hygiene control at this state-of-the-art manufacturing facility ensures that no foreign body can enter the manufacturing process.”
Copyright restricted. Under license from www.dnasyndication.com
More on Mumbai